Incident of the Tumbleweed (A.K.A. Incident of the Tumbleweed Wagon) is the first episode of the first season of Rawhide. It first aired on January 9, 1959.
Trail Boss Gil Favor and chief assistant Rowdy Yates share camp with lawmen who are taking prisoners to their trials. When a break for freedom fails, Gil and Rowdy are saddled with the task of bringing the outlaws to justice. - CBS DVD
- First appearance of both stars of the series (Fleming and Eastwood) as well as most recurring co-stars (Wooley, Brinegar, Murdock, Raines & Shahan).
- First of 3 episodes directed by Richard Whorf. He directed this first episode as well as the second. It took more than six years before he directed his third Rawhide episode, which eventually became the series last.
- In this episode director Richard Whorf's son David makes an appearance as Norm Morton, one of the prisoners.
- Gil Favor (opening): "It’s not the roundin’ up and the ropin’ and the brandin’ of the cattle that’s the big problem for the ranchers, it’s gettin’ ‘em to market: 1500 bone-weary miles, from the southern tip of Texas to the railhead at Sedalia. That’s where I come in. Gil Favor’s my name, trail boss."
- Wishbone, to Mushy: "You are the only one I know can make a chow bell whisper."
- Jim Quince, after noticing the beautiful Dallas is one of the prisoners: "O, mama, tell me: how do I get throwed in jail?!"
- Favor, to Rowdy: "You never saw a woman in trouble yet you haven’t fallen for."
- Favor: "Nobody wants to die. A man just does what he feels is right."
|Gil Favor||Eric Fleming|
|Rowdy Yates||Clint Eastwood|
Special Guest StarEdit
|Pete Nolan||Sheb Wooley|
|Jim Quince||Steve Raines|
|Joe Scarlet||Rocky Shahan|
|Lennie Dawson||John Larch|
|Wilt Jackson||Frank Wilcox|
|Matt Hays||Maurice Manson|
|Luke Storm||Val Dufour|
|Norm Morton||David Whorf|
|Art Gray||Bob Steele|
|Jed Ryan||Bill Hale|
|Virgo||John War Eagle|
Crew (and other credits)Edit
- Directed by: Richard Whorf
- Story by: Curtis Kenyon
- Teleplay by: Fred Freiberger
- Produced by: Charles Marquis Warren
- Rawhide Theme Created and Composed by: Dimitri Tiomkin
- Lyrics by: Ned Washington
- Recorded by: Frankie Laine
- Associate Producer: A. C. Lyles
- Story Editor: Endre Bohem
- Production Manager: Harry Templeton
- Director of Photography: Philip Lathrop
- Art Direction: Alex Golitzen & Robert Clatworthy
- Film Editor: Roland Gross, A.C.E.
- Assistant Director: William Holland
- Set Decorations: Russell A. Gausman & Ray Jeffers
- Sound: Leslie I. Carey & Robert Pritchard
- Make-up: Bud Westmore
- Hair Stylist: Larry Germain
- "Filmed at Universal-International Studios | A CBS Television Network production"